The System View (SV)-8 “Systems Evolution Description” presents a whole lifecycle view of resources (systems), describing how they change over time. It shows the structure of several resources mapped against a timeline. The intended usage of the SV-8 includes:
- Development of incremental acquisition strategy.
- Planning technology insertion.
Guide: DoDAF Architecture Framework Version 2.02 – Page 221
The SV-8, when linked together with other evolution Models, e.g., such as CV-3 “Capability Phasing” and StdV-2 “Standards Forecast”, provides a rich definition of how the Enterprise and its capabilities are expected to evolve over time. In this manner, the model can be used to support an architecture evolution project plan or transition plan.
A SV-8 can either describe historical (legacy), current, and future capabilities against a timeline. The model shows the structure of each resource, using similar modeling elements as those used in SV-1 “Systems Interface Description”. Interactions which take place within the resource may also be shown. The changes depicted in the SV-8 are derived from the project milestones that are shown in a PV-2 “Project Timelines” . When the PV-2 Project Timelines is used for capability acquisition projects, there is likely to be a close relationship between these two models.
|DoDAF Viewpoint Matrix|
- The DoDAF descriptions in this website are very generic and are mostly taken from the DoDAF Architecture Framework website. Make sure you visit the actual website for the most update information and a more thorough explanation of each viewpoint.
- DoDAF Version 1.0, although outdated, has some good examples on how to construct AV’s, OV’s, and SV’s.
AcqLinks and References:
-  DoDAF Architecture Framework Version 2.02
- DoD Architecture Framework Working Group Version 1.0, Volume 1: Definition and Guideline, 9 Feb 04 (Old Version)
- DoD Architecture Framework Version 1.0, Volume 2: Product Description, 9 Feb 04 (Old Version)
- Website: DoDAF Architecture Framework – DoD Deputy Chief Information Officer
- Website: DoDAF Version 2.02 Journal