The System View (SV)-4 “Systems Functionality Description” addresses human and system functionality. The primary purposes of SV-4 are to:
- Develop a clear description of the necessary data flows that are input (consumed) by and output (produced) by each resource.
- Ensure that the functional connectivity is complete (i.e., that a resource’s required inputs are all satisfied). Ensure that the functional decomposition reaches an appropriate level of detail.
The Systems Functionality Description provides detailed information regarding the:
- Allocation of functions to resources
- Flow of resources between functions
- Description of task workflow.
- Identification of functional system requirements.
- Functional decomposition of systems.
- Relate human and system functions.
The scope of this model may be capability wide, without regard to which resources perform which functions, or it may be resource-specific. Variations may focus on intra- or inter resource data flows, or may simply allocate functions to resources.
There are two basic ways to depict SV-4:
- The Taxonomic Functional Hierarchy shows a decomposition of functions depicted in a tree structure and is typically used where tasks are concurrent but dependent, such as a production line, for example.
- The Data Flow Diagram shows functions connected by data flow arrows and data stores.
|DoDAF Viewpoint Matrix|
- The DoDAF descriptions in this website are very generic and are mostly taken from the DoDAF Architecture Framework website. Make sure you visit the actual website for the most update information and a more thorough explanation of each viewpoint.
- DoDAF Version 1.0, although outdated, has some good examples on how to construct AV’s, OV’s, and SV’s.
AcqLinks and References:
-  DoDAF Architecture Framework Version 2.02
- DoD Architecture Framework Working Group Version 1.0, Volume 1: Definition and Guideline, 9 Feb 04 (Old Version)
- DoD Architecture Framework Version 1.0, Volume 2: Product Description, 9 Feb 04 (Old Version)
- Website: DoDAF Architecture Framework – DoD Deputy Chief Information Officer
- Website: DoDAF Version 2.02 Journal