The Planning, Programing, Budget and Execution (PPBE) process (see PPBE Map) is one of three (3) processes (Acquisition, Requirements and Funding) that support the Defense Acquisition System. The PPBE process is focused on the Financial Management and resource allocation for current and future DoD acquisition programs. The process is established by the Secretary of Defense (SecDef) who provides priorities and goals under the main guidance of DoD Directive 7045.14 “Program Planning Budget & Execution (PPBE)” Process – 29 Aug 2017.
The PPBE process consists of four (4) distinct but overlapping phases:
- Planning: The Planning phase of the PPBE Process is the definition and examination of alternative strategies, the analysis of changing conditions and trends, threat, technology, and economic assessments in conjunction with efforts to understand both change and the long-term implications of current choices.
- Programming: The Programming phase of the PPBE process defines and analyzes alternative force structures, weapon systems, and support systems together with their multi-year resource implications and the evaluation of various tradeoff options.
- Budgeting: The Budgeting phase of the PPBE process includes formulation, justification, execution, and control of the budget. The primary purpose is to scrutinize the first one or two years of a programs budget to ensure efficient use of resources.
- Execution: The Execution phase of the PPBE process is the real world application of the Planning, Programming, Budgeting and Execution process. (See Financial Management section)
Presentation: Funds Management Platinum Card – July 2016
Quick Sheet: Funds Management Platinum Card – July 2016
Figure: PPBE Process Overview
Budget Preparation Schedule
- 1st Monday of February: Presidents Budget due to Congress
- February: Future Year Defense Program (FYDP) Updated
- April: DoD Send Defense Planning Guidance (DPG) to Services
- 30 July: Services submit Program Objective Memorandum (POM) and Budget Estimate Submission (BES) to OSD, CAPE and OMB for Review (FYDP Updated)
- October – December: Joint OMB-OSD review leading to Resource Management Decision (RMD)
- December: DoD Budget Request sent to Office of Management and Budget (OMB)
- See Financial Management section
AcqLinks and References:
-  Defense Acquisition Guidebook (DAG) – Chapter 1.2
- DoD Directive 7045.14 “Program Planning Budget & Execution (PPBE)” Process – 29 Aug 2017
- (Old) DoD Directive 7045.14 “PPBE Process” – 25 Jan 2013
- Funds Management Platinum Card – July 2016
- DoD Army PPBE Executive Overview
- Procedures and Schedule for FY 10-15 Integrated Program and Budget Review
- DoD 7000.14-R Financial Management Regulation
- Presentation: Navy Budget PPBE System
- Tutorial: PPBE Overview