Program Objective Memorandum (POM)
A Program Objective Memorandum (POM) is a recommendation from the Services and Defense Agencies to the Secretary of Defense concerning how they plan to allocate resources for a program(s) to meet the Service Program Guidance (SPG) and Defense Planning Guidance (DPG). The POM covers the 5-year Future Year Defense Program (FYDP) and presents the Services and Defense Agencies proposal on how they will balance their allocation of available resources. The POM includes an analysis of missions, objectives, alternative methods to accomplish objectives, and allocation of resources.
The services submit their combined POM and Budget Estimate Submission (BES) on 30 July.
A programs initial POM is developed during the Materiel Solutions Analysis (MSA) Phase. The Initial Technical Review (ITR) is a technical review conducted during the MSA Phase to support a program’s initial POM submission.
Budget Preparation Schedule
- February: Future Year Defense Program (FYDP) Updated
- April: DoD Send Defense Planning Guidance (DPG) to Services
- 30 July: Services submit POM and Budget Estimate Submission (BES) to OSD, CAPE and OMB for POM Review (FYDP Updated)
- October – December: Joint OMB-OSD review leading to Resource Management Decision (RMD)
- December: DoD Budget Request sent to OMB
- 1st Monday of February: Presidents Budget due to Congress
The POM is reviewed by program review teams comprising members from the military departments, Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS), defense agencies, and OSD staff. The results of this review are presented to the Senior Level Review Group (SLRG) for discussion. In addition, the Joint Chiefs conduct a concurrent checks-and-balances review of POM, focusing on the balance and capabilities of the proposed forces levels. Both reviews are presented to the Secretary of Defense prior to his/her decisions in the Program Decision Memoranda (PDM).
Figure: PPBE Process Flowchart
The POM cannot be disclosed outside of DoD and other Government Agencies directly involved in the defense planning and resource allocation process.
- See Financial Management section
AcqLinks and References: