The Initial Capabilities Document (ICD) documents the need for a materiel approach, or an approach that is a combination of materiel and non-materiel, to a specific capability gap. A capability gap derived from an initial analysis of materiel approaches executed by the operational user and, as required, an independent analysis of materiel alternatives. It defines the capability gap in terms of the functional area, the relevant range of military operations, desired effects and time. The ICD summarizes the results of the Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Leadership and education, Personnel, and Facilities (DOTMLPF) analysis and describes why non-materiel changes alone have been judged inadequate in fully providing the capability. See Requirements Development
Figure: ICD in the Acquisition/JCIDS Process
The ICD guides the Concept Refinement and Technology Maturation & Risk Reduction (TD) Phase of the Defense Acquisition System and supports Analysis of Alternatives (AoA) and the Milestone A decision. Once approved, the ICD is not updated.
The ICD defines the gap in terms of the functional area; the relevant range of military operations; desired effects; time and DOTMLPF; and policy implications and constraints. The outcome of an ICD could be one or more DOTMLPF Change Recommendations (DCRs) or Capability Development Documents (CDD).
JCIDS Manual Required ICD Format:
- Concept of Operations (CONOPS) Summary
- Joint Capability Area
- Required Capability
- Capability Gaps and Overlaps or Redundancies
- Threat and Operational Environment
- Ideas for Non-Materiel Approaches (DOTMLPF Analysis)
- Final Recommendations
- Mandatory Appendices
- Appendix A: Integrated Architecture Products
- Appendix B: References
- Appendix C: Acronym List
The Capability Development Tracking and Management (CDTM) tool is provided as a means to generate and submit ICDs, Capabilities Development Documents (CDD), Capability Production Documents (CPD), and Joint DOTMLPF-P Change Recommendation to the Knowledge Management/Decision Support (KM/DS) system.
REGULATORY: The ICD is required for the Material Development Decision (MDD).
- Key Performance Parameters (KPP) are not included in the ICD.
- The ICD replaced the Mission Need Statement (MNS) that was used under the old Requirements Generation System
- The Knowledge Management/Decision Support (KM/DS) Tool is found on the SIPRNET privileges. It is not accessible from non-secure sites.
- See Requirements Development
- See Requirements Document Sequence
AcqLinks and Resources:
-  CJCS Instruction 3170.01H “Joint Capabilities Integration and Development System”
-  DoD Instruction 5000.02 “Operation of the Defense Acquisition System”
- JCIDS Manual for the Operation of the JCIDS
- JCIDS Process Flow Chart
- Initial Capabilities Document (ICD) Writers Guide
- Example: ICD for Unmanned Systems
- Example: ICD for Operational Contract Support
- Example: ICD for Common Driver Trainer
- Tutorial: JCIDS Process