A Materiel Development Decision (MDD) is a point in time where the Joint Capabilities Integration and Development System (JCIDS) analysis has identified a capability gap/need and an MDD Review has determined a materiel solution is needed. The MDD is the formal point that initiates the Materiel Solutions Analysis (MSA) Phase.
After a program has an approved MDD, the Analysis of Alternatives (AoA) process is expected to contribute to the selection of a preferred materiel solution that satisfies the capability gap/need documented in the approved Initial Capabilities Document (ICD). In an Evolutionary Acquisition program, the initial increment will be preceded by a MDD but follow-on increments will start at a predetermined Milestone.
Statutory Requirements: There is no information required by Statute for an MDD for an Acquisition Program.
Materiel Development Decision (MDD) Approval
- The Milestone Decision Authority (MDA) will determine if a program can proceed into the Materiel Solutions Analysis (MSA) Phase.
- The decisions will be documented in an Acquisition Decision Memorandum (ADM).
- The approved Analysis of Alternatives Study Guidance will be included with the ADM.
AcqLinks and References:
- Defense Acquisition Guidebook (DAG)
- DoD Instruction 5000.85 Major Capability Acquisition
- DoD Instruction 5000.02 “Operation of the Defense Acquisition System”
- Directive-Type Memorandum (DTM) 10-017 “Development Planning to Inform Materiel Development Decision (MDD) Reviews and Support Analyses of Alternatives (AoA)” – 16 Jan 2013