The Role of Test and Evaluation (T&E) at Milestone B:
- At Milestone B or beyond, a Test Evaluation Master Plan (TEMP) is required in lieu of the T&E Strategy.
- The TEMP focuses on the overall structure, major elements, and objectives of the T&E program.
- If applicable, the TEMP must contain a mature strategy that commits to full-up, system-level, live-fire testing, or a waiver request is submitted and approved for an alternative Live-Fire Test & Evaluation (LFT&E) plan.
- The TEMP is updated at program major decision points, when the program baseline has been breached, when the associated Capability Development Document (CDD) / Capability Production Document (CPD) has been significantly modified, or on other occasions when the program has changed significantly.
- Evolutionary acquisition programs may require additional updates to ensure that the TEMP reflects the currently defined program.
- The concept of early and integrated T&E emphasizes testing of prototypes or production representative articles during Engineering, Manufacturing and Development (EMD) Phase.
- Early Operational Assessments may be included as appropriate. Results are reported to the Service Chief by the appropriate operational test activity and used by the Milestone Decision Authority(MDA) in support of decisions.
- System modeling, simulation, test, and evaluation activities are integrated into an efficient continuum planned and executed by a Test and Evaluation Working Level Integrated Product Team (T&E WIPT).
- Modeling, simulation, and development tests are under the direct responsibility of the Program Manager or a designated test agency.
- Milestone Decision Authority (MDA) reviews production representative article T&E and Operational Assessment results and the approved TEMP
- Conduct Initial Operational Test & Evaluation (IOT&E)
- Conduct Live-Fire Test & Evaluation (LFT&E), if applicable
- Provide evaluation to support Full Rate Production Decision Review (FRPDR)
- Plan Follow-on Operational Test & Evaluation (FOT&E).
T&E personnel: 
- Determine the testability of the exit criteria.
- Confirm that the phase exit criteria relative to T&E (if any) are met.
- Assist the program office in evaluating top-level system digital models that will be used and refined throughout system development.
AcqLinks and References:
- Defense Acquisition Guidebook (DAG)
- DoD Test and Evaluation Management Guide
- DAU Test and Evaluation Management Guide – Jan 2005
- Air Force Test & Evaluation Guidebook – Dec 2004
- SMC Systems Engineering Handbook – 15 Jan 2004
- TEMP Review Guide – 4 April 2010