The Joint Staff (JS) Deputy Director for Requirements (J-8) serves as the Gatekeeper for the Joint Capabilities Integration and Development System (JCIDS) Process. This individual makes the initial joint potential designation of JCIDS documents and determines lead and supporting Functional Capabilities Boards (FCB) for capability documents. The Gatekeeper is supported in these functions by FCB working group leads and the JS. 
– See J8 Force Structure, Resources, and Assessment Directorate
The Gatekeeper manages the overall flow of documents into and out of the JCIDS process for staffing and validation, in addition to other activities in support of the JCIDS process. 
- The intelligence community (IC) maintains a common Gatekeeper function for the Intelligence Community Capability Requirements (ICCR) and JCIDS processes. Documents for both processes are submitted to the Gatekeeper to initiate staffing and ensure appropriate visibility and participation across processes.
- Sponsor organizations submitting and/or commenting upon JCIDS documents will have a Gatekeeper function providing a single point of entry into the JCIDS process, and if applicable, the ICCR process, and facilitating communications between the Joint Staff Gatekeeper and principals in Sponsor organizations.
Gatekeeping for ICDs, CDDs, CPDs, and Joint DCRs
- Initial Capabilities Document (ICD)
- Capability Development Document (CDD)
- Capability Production Document (CPD)
- Joint DOTMLPF-P Change Recommendation (DCR)
The Gatekeeper provides the initial review of incoming documents and performs several activities prior to documents entering staffing:
- Reviews each document submitted to confirm that the document is complete and ready for staffing.
- Confirms that Capabilities Based Assessment (CBA), studies, and other similar supporting materials for the document have been uploaded to the Knowledge Management/Decision Support (KM/DS) Studies repository, or if not appropriate for the KM/DS studies repository, have been linked and/or appended as attachments to the document.
- May reject documents that are not properly formatted when the format issues cannot be easily corrected during post-staffing comment resolution. Document rejection terminates the Joint requirements process until corrective actions are taken, and the revised document is accepted by the Gatekeeper.
- Identify lead FCB and supporting FCBs as needed.
- Assign one of five Joint Staffing Designator (JSDs), based on actual/potential Acquisition Category (ACAT) and Joint Staff equities. The JSD sets the staffing path and timeline for the document and identifies the validation authority.
The Gatekeeper is the approval authority for Initial Capabilities Document (ICD) and Capability Development Document (CDD) waiver requests (see ICD and CDD Waiver Request).
The Gatekeeper maintains the JCIDS Studies Repository to facilitate visibility into, and potential reuse of, studies related to capability requirements and the generation of JCIDS documents.
AcqLinks and Resources:
- CJCS Instruction 3170.01 “Joint Capabilities Integration and Development System”
-  JCIDS Manual of Operations
- JCIDS Process Flow Chart