Note: The Technology Development Strategy (TDS) is no longer required for DoD Programs according to DoD Instruction 5000.02. A programs technology development approach is now detailed in a programs Acquisition Strategy.
The Technology Development Strategy (TDS) describes the acquisition approach that will be undertaken to mature key technologies and maturation efforts to Initial Operational Capability (IOC). This approach discusses business strategies, developmental strategies, support strategies, and Critical Program Information (CPI) to manage program risks and meet program objectives while balancing cost, schedule, and performance.
Template: Technology Development Strategy (TDS)
The TDS guides the efforts of the TD Phase and serves as a baseline for efforts that continually evolve throughout a program. The TDS allows the program manager to track program goals against a baseline. This tracking will alert the program manager to any potential problems that might arise and perform corrective actions to keep a program within its cost, schedule, and performance goals.
The content of the TDS should include:
- Executive Summary
- Summary of requirements, development, and design efforts to complete Preliminary Design Review (PDR)
- Description of Main Capabilities
- Benefit Analysis and Determination
- Technology Maturation efforts to achieve TRL 6
- Risk Maturation efforts to achieve Initial Operational Capability (IOC)
- Risks and Risk Management Approach including Prototyping
- Industry and Manufacturing Readiness
- Key manpower requirements
- Functional competency requirements
- Resource limitation
- Cost Goals
- Scheduled Events
- Source Documents
- Remember the TDS is not a Technology Development Plan; it’s an overall program technology strategy to address technology maturation in terms of cost, schedule, and performance. The TDS should contain a preliminary description of how the potential acquisition program will be divided into increments based on mature technologies.
AcqLinks and References:
- Defense Acquisition Guidebook (DAG)
- DoD Instruction 5000.02 “Operation of the Defense Acquisition System”
- Template: Technology Development Strategy (TDS)