An Earned Value Management System (EVMS) can be defined as an integrated management system and its related sub-systems, which allow for: 
- planning all work scope for the program to completion
- assignment of authority and responsibility at the work performance level
- integration of the cost, schedule, and technical aspects of the work into a detailed baseline plan
- objective measurement of progress (earned value) at the work performance level
- accumulation and assignment of actual costs
- analysis of variances from plans
- summarization and reporting of performance data to higher levels of management for action
- forecast of achievement of milestones and completion of contract events
- forecast of final contract costs and
- disciplined baseline maintenance and incorporation of baseline revisions in a timely manner.
Demonstrates that work is planned in a logical sequence considering the interdependencies among work packages and planning packages (or lower level tasks/activities), ensuring that the overall schedule is rational, and provides methodology to evaluate the impact of current schedule status on subsequent work packages and planning packages (or lower level tasks/activities) and milestones. Horizontal integration depicts schedule dependencies and constraints, focusing on relationships within the same scheduling level including between different program elements such as “hand-offs” of products between Integrated Product Teams (IPT).
Demonstrates the consistency of data between the various levels of schedules and consistency of data between various Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) elements and/or Integrated Master Plan (IMP) / Integrated Master Schedule (IMS) elements (if applicable) within the schedules. Since upper-tiered schedules set the parameters for lower-level schedules, it is imperative that lower-level schedules are traceable to upper-tiered milestones to ensure program schedule integrity. This ensures that all IPT’s are working to the same schedule information and all levels of schedules are supportive of the program schedule requirements.
- The DoD has accepted the ANSI/EIA-748 – American National Standards Institute/Electronic Industries Alliance Standard 748, Earned Value Management Systems as the DoD standard
AcqLinks and References: