The purpose and objectives of a Defense Contract Management Agency’s (DCMA) Earned Value Management System (EVMS) Compliance Review is to make sure a contractor is effectively using an internal cost and schedule management control systems and for the Government to be able to rely on accurate, valid, reliable, timely, and auditable data produced by those systems for determining product-oriented contract status. The compliance review includes a pre-acceptance Validation Review (VR), post-acceptance reviews, Implementation Review (IR), and Review for Cause (RFC).
The Defense Federal Acquisition Regulation Supplement (DFARS), Subpart 242.302 “Contract administration functions ” (S-71) specifies DCMA responsibility for reviewing EVMS plans and for verifying initial and continuing contractor compliance with EVMS criteria.
The DoD and DCMA recognize the 32 EVMS guidelines in the American National Standards Institute/Electronics Industries Alliance (ANSI/EIA) – 748 Standard as the basis for determining initial and ongoing compliance of a contractor’s management control systems. DCMA conducts formal EVMS compliance reviews to verify initial and ongoing compliance with the ANSI/EIA-748 EVMS Guidelines on applicable contracts as prescribed by DoD Instruction (DoDI) 5000.02 when the DoD is the Cognizant Federal Agency (CFA) or when a delegation is accepted from another agency.
Formal determination of compliance and acceptance is done by the Administrative Contracting Officer (ACO). The ACO provides assurances that the contractor’s EVMS produces reliable data on high-risk contracts for program management decisions regarding cost, schedule, and technical performance.
The DCMA Compliance Review (CR) consist of a 16-Step process.
- Task 1 – Notification of CR Requirement
- Task 2 – Initial Visit (IV) letter to Contractor
- Task 3 – IV to Contractor
- Task 4 – Trip Report
- Task 5 – Self-Assessment (SA)
- Task 6 – Data Analysis
- Task 7 – SA Evaluation
- Task 8 – SA Evaluation CAP
- Task 9 – CR Go/No-Go
- Task 10 – CR letter to Contractor
- Task 11 – CR Preparation
- Task 12 – Conduct CR
- Task 13 – CR report
- Task 14 – CR CAP
- Task 15 – Letter of Acceptance (LOA)
AcqLinks and References:
- Defense Acquisition Guidebook (DAG)
- DoD Earned Value Management Interpretation Guide – Jan 2018
- EVM Contract Requirements Checklist
- NDIA “Program Management Systems Committee (PMSC) EVMS Intent Guide” – May 2011
- ANSI/EIA 748 “EVM System Acceptance Guide” – 23 Jan 2006
- ANSI EIA 748 “EVMS Intent Guide” – Jan 2005
- DAU EVM Gold Card
- DOE EVMS Gold Card