A Technical Data Package (TDP) is a description of an item adequate for supporting an acquisition, production, engineering, and logistics support (e.g. Engineering Data for Provisioning, Training, and Technical Manuals). The description defines the required design configuration or performance requirements, and procedures required to ensure the adequacy of item performance. It consists of applicable technical data such as models, drawings, associated lists, specifications, standards, performance requirements, QAP, software documentation, and packaging details. 
Definition: A Technical Data Package (TDP) includes the technical design and manufacturing information needed to enable the construction or manufacture of an item component modification, or to enable the performance of certain maintenance or production processes.
Mil-Standard: 31000B “Technical Data Packages” – 31 Oct 2018
TDPs define the physical and functional characteristics of the accepted configuration of the item and its subordinate assemblies, subassemblies, and parts. TDPs level, types, elements, and TDP data management products shall be identified in accordance with Mil-Standard 31000B or block 16 of Form 1423, Contract Data Requirement List (CDRL) in a contract. 
Purpose of Technical Data Packages (TDP)
TDPs, provide critical information for the development of acquisition, operation, and product support objectives. TDPs are developed and acquired to provide the basis for maintenance planning, developing supply support strategies, establishing configuration management requirements, and developing training and related engineering and product support activities. Technical Data/TDPs are delivered in multi-media formats.
Types of Technical Data Packages (TDP)
There are generally four types of TDPs:
- Conceptual TDP: A conceptual package is a collection of sketches, low fidelity Computer-Aided Design (CAD) models, and text that documents basic concepts of how an item may be developed to meet operational requirements. The TDP is used to determine if the requirements are feasible.
- Developmental TDP: A developmental package is a collection of data intended to document a specific design approach and the fabrication of developmental prototypes for test or experimentation. These data elements capture the basic design of equipment/weapon systems developed from a concept. They are not intended for, nor are they adequate for use in, the competitive procurement of component parts.
- Product TDP: A product package is a collection of product engineering data related to the design and manufacture of an item or system. Product drawings and/or CAD models contain all of the descriptive documentation needed to ensure the competitive procurement of spare parts or end items.
- Commercial TDP: A commercial package is for end items developed by the contractor prior to the award of the contract at his/her own expense. Unless the Government purchases rights for these drawings and/or CAD models, the drawings provide the contractor’s proprietary engineering and design information for commercially developed items, off-the-shelf items, or items not developed at Government expense.
While not a type of TDP, the Decision Tree is important because it provides a process for selecting the appropriate type of data item requirements to be placed on contract.
Technical Data Package (TDP) Goal
Successful TDP acquisition is based on the selection of the appropriate drawings/models and lists. Cost constraints and sound business practices require the selection of the minimum drawings/models and associated lists necessary to successfully support an acquired system throughout its life cycle.
The technical data package is a critical area of focus for the Product Support Manager (PSM). The PSM must identify, plan, validate, resource, and implement management actions to develop and acquire technical data to:
- Effectively catalog and acquire spare/repair parts, support equipment, and all classes of supply
- Define the configuration baseline of the system (hardware and software) to effectively support the Warfighter with the best capability at the time it is needed
- Operate, maintain, and train on the equipment to maximize its effectiveness and availability
AcqLinks and References: