Democratic leadership is a type of leadership style in which members of the group take a more participative role in the decision-making process. Researchers have found that this learning style is usually one of the most effective and leaders to higher productivity, better contributions from group members, and increased group morale. Employees meet to discuss and resolve issues by giving everyone some opportunity to contribute to decisions.
This style of leadership offers everyone the opportunity to participate, exchange ideas, have their opinions heard, and encourages discussions. However, the group leader still needs to provide guidance and direction to maintain the goals and objectives are being pursued.
Figure 1: Leadership Styles 
Primary Characteristics of Democratic Leadership Style: 
- Group members are encouraged to share ideas and opinions, even though the leader retains the final say over decisions.
- Members of the group feel more engaged in the process.
- Creativity is encouraged and rewarded.
Benefits of Democratic Leadership Style:
The primary benefit of the democratic leadership style is that since there is group involvement and discussions, more ideas and thoughts lead to better ideas and better solutions. The participants in a group become more involved and committed to projects which makes them more invested in the final results. Basically, they care more and productivity increases.
Downside of Democratic Leadership Style: 
There are a few downsides to a democratic leadership style. These include:
- Can lead to communication failures and uncompleted projects during unclear times.
- Group members may not have the necessary knowledge or expertise to make quality contributions to the decision-making process.
- Lack of decision making due to volume of choices
- Loud minority override
- Side tracked easily without good leadership to keep the focus
Other Leadership Styles:
AcqLinks and References:
-  Nickels and McHugh, “Understanding Business” McGraw-Hill Irwin 2010
-  Website: About.com – Democratic Leadership Style