A contractor Earned Value Management System (EVMS) Validation Plan is required by DFARS Subpart 252.234-7001 and requires that a contractor be prepared to demonstrate that the contractor’s EVMS meets the guidelines set fort in ANSI/EIA-748. The contractor should prepare a plan to achieve validation and submit the plan as part of the proposal. The plan shall: 
- describe the EVMS the offeror intends to use in performance of the contract, and how the proposed EVMS complies with the EVMS guidelines in ANSI/EIA-748.
- distinguish between the offeror’s existing management system and modifications proposed to meet the EVMS guidelines.
- describe the management system and its application in terms of the EVMS guidelines.
- describe the proposed procedure for administration of the EVMS guidelines as applied to subcontractors
- describe the process the offeror will use to determine subcontractor compliance with ANSI/EIA-748.
- the offeror shall provide information and assistance as required by the Contracting Officer to support review of the plan.
- the Government will review and approve the offeror’s EVMS plan before contract award.
- the offeror’s EVMS plan must provide milestones that indicate when the offeror anticipates that the EVMS will be compliant with the guidelines in ANSI/EIA-748.
- the offeror shall identify the subcontractors, or major subcontracted effort if subcontractors have not been selected, to whom the EVMS requirements will apply.
- a schedule that provides a timetable of events leading up to Government validation of the contractor’s EVMS. This schedule should include a Progress Assistance Visit (PAV). The formal Validation Review (VR) is conducted as soon as practicable.
- The DoD has accepted the ANSI/EIA-748 – American National Standards Institute/Electronic Industries Alliance Standard 748, Earned Value Management Systems as the DoD standard
AcqLinks and References:
- Defense Acquisition Guidebook (DAG)
- DoD Earned Value Management Implementation Guide (EVMIG)
- EVM Contract Requirements Checklist
- Website: Cost Performance Index Equation Formulas Calculator
- Website: DoD EVMS Home Page
- Website: Earned Value Management Central Repository
- Website: DFARS Subpart 234.2 “Earned Value Management”
- Website: DFARS Subpart 242.302 “Contract administration functions (S-71)”
- Website: DFARS Subpart 252.234-7001 “Notice of EVMS”