The Operational Test Readiness Review (OTRR) assess if a system should proceed into Initial Operational Test and Evaluation (IOT&E). The review addresses and verifies system reliability, maintainability, and supportability performance and determines if the hazards and Environmental, Safety, Occupational and Health (ESOH) residual risks are manageable within the planned testing operations. This assessment determines if changes are required in planning, resources, or testing necessary to proceed with IOT&E. Of critical importance to this review is the understanding of available system performance to meet the Capability Production Document (CPD) performance threshold values. The OTRR may be conducted in multiple steps to ensure that the “production configuration” system (usually the Low-Rate Initial Production (LRIP) system) can proceed into Operational Test & Evaluation (OT&E) with a high probability of success.
Programs on the Office of Secretary of Defense (OSD) Test and Evaluation (T&E) oversight list are required by DoD policy to establish a Service process for determining and certifying a program’s readiness for IOT&E by the Service Component Acquisition Executive (CAE). The OTRR is only complete when the CAE evaluates and determines materiel system readiness for IOT&E. The OTRR may be conducted by the Program Manager (PM) or the Operational Test Agency, depending on Service policy.
DoD specifies that the OTRR review shall include:
- Development T&E Results
- An assessment of the system’s progress against Critical Technical Parameters (CTP) documented in the Test & Evaluation Master Plan (TEMP)
- An analysis of identified technical risks to verify that those risks have been retired during developmental testing;
- Consideration of the impact of performance waivers and deviations
- Review of the IOT&E Entrance Criteria specified in the TEMP
AcqLinks and References:
-  Defense Acquisition Guidebook (DAG) – Chapter 4
- Test and Evaluation Management Guide, Appendix B-13
- NAVAIR Instruction 4355.19D – Systems Engineering Technical Review
- OTTR Checklist
- Test Readiness Review (TRR) Checklist