Manpower estimates serve as the authoritative source for out-year projections of active-duty and reserve end-strength, civilian full-time equivalents, and contractor support work-years. The estimate is prepared by the program manager and approved by the DoD Component manpower authority (for the military departments, normally the Assistant Secretary for Manpower and Reserve Affairs). They’re due prior to each Defense Acquisition Board (DAB) milestone review and used as input into Life-Cycle Cost Eestimate (LCCE). The final manpower estimate should be fully staffed and submitted to the Under Secretary of Defense for Personnel and Readiness in sufficient time to support the Overarching Integrated Product Team (OIPT) review in preparation of the DAB meeting. 
For Major Defense Acquisition Programs (MDAP), manpower estimates are required by: 
- 10 U.S.C. 2434, which directs the Secretary of Defense to consider an estimate of the personnel required to operate, maintain, support, and provide system-related training in advance of approval of the development, or production and deployment; and ·
- DoD Instruction 5000.02, which directs development of a manpower estimate at Milestones B, C, and Full-Rate Production (FRP).
STATUTORY: A draft is due for Development RFP Release and approved at Milestone B. The office of the Under Secretary of Defense for Personnel and Readiness (OUSD(P&R)) will review. 
- The manpower estimates should be consistent with the manpower levels assumed in the final Affordability Assessment and the Cost Analysis Requirements Description (CARD).
- A sample format for the manpower estimate is displayed in the DAG Table 3.5.T1
- For Manpower Estimates at each Milestone Review, see the Milestone Requirements Matrix.
AcqLinks and References:
-  Defense Acquisition Guidebook (DAG) – Chapter 3.5
-  DoD Instruction 5000.02 “Operation of the Defense Acquisition System”
- GAO Cost Estimating and Assessment Guide
- NASA Cost Estimating Handbook – 2008
- DoD 5000.04-M, “DoD Cost Analysis Guidance and Procedures” – Dec 1992
- DoD Directive 5000.04 “DoD Cost Analysis Improvement Group (CAIG)” – 16 Aug 06
- 10 USC Sec. 2434 “Independent cost estimates; operational manpower requirements”
- Website: CAIG Operating and Support Cost-Estimating Guide
- Website: OSD Director of Cost Assessment and Program Evaluation (DCAPE)
- Website: 10 U.S.C. 2434 “Independent cost estimates; operational manpower requirements”