Government Furnished Software (GFS) is Non-Developmental Software (NDS) that is provided to a contractor by the government for a specific intent or purpose. Special considerations apply when GFS is incorporated into an embedded system. Special consideration when using GFS should include:
- An Associate Contractor Agreement (ACA) between the embedded system developer and the original developer of the GFS may be appropriate to ensure rapid, clear, and concise communication.
- The program office should consider codifying a government-to-government relationship (Memorandum of Agreement (MOA), other agreements) with the original acquiring organization to outline roles, responsibilities, and agreements.
- The program office and contractor should codify the roles, responsibilities, and performance expectations related to the GFS. Contractor responsibilities and expectations related to GFS should be clearly understood.
- The development contract should be structured to ensure the Government is not held responsible for the performance or support of the GFS. Refer to Appendix E of the USAF Weapons Systems Software Guide.
AcqLinks and References:
-  USAF Weapons Systems Software Guide – Section 3.9.2
- Defense Acquisition Guidebook (DAG)
- DD Form 610: GFE Requirements ScheduleStandard Form 1428: Inventory Disposal