Members of the Armed Forces and employees of Department of Defense (DoD) with authority to generate capability requirements for Major Defense Acquisition Programs (MDAP) may not participate in the requirements generation process unless the member or employee successfully completes a certification training program. 
Personnel have varying degrees of responsibility within the requirements process, and correspondingly variable training needs. Each DoD Component determines what specific steps are needed to certify their personnel as Requirements Managers, but completion of the requisite Defense Acquisition University (DAU) training courses corresponding to the levels described herein is a prerequisite to any Component-specific certification.
Individuals filling positions/billets within a Component whose responsibilities involve development or staffing of requirements documents will be trained to one of four possible levels, commensurate with responsibilities of the billet. 
- Level A: Contribute to the capability requirement generation and development process in various capacities. Duties may include: analysis; subject matter or domain expertise; JCIDS document development, staffing, and/or coordination, and administrative support
- Level B: Significantly involved with capability requirement generation and development in specific capacities. Duties may include: study leadership, planning, writing, adjudicating comments, and facilitating inter-organizational development and coordination of JCIDS documents.
- Level C: Designated by organizational leadership for advanced requirements instruction. Primary duties may include leadership and supervisory roles in capability requirement generation and development, and organizational representation in pertinent program management and JCIDS forums to include the Functional Capabilities Board (FCB) Working Groups, FCBs, JCB and Joint Requirements Oversight Council (JROC).
- Level D: GO/FO and Senior Executive Service (SES) only. Duties may include: approval of draft documents for submission into JCIDS, senior leadership and oversight of analysis and staffing of JCIDS documents, enforcement of requirements standards and accountability, and if holding delegated authority, validation of JCIDS documents.
Public Law 109-364SEC. 801. REQUIREMENTS MANAGEMENT CERTIFICATION TRAINING PROGRAM 
(a) TRAINING PROGRAM
(1) REQUIREMENT :The Under Secretary of Defense for Acquisition, Technology, and Logistics, in consultation with the Defense Acquisition University, shall develop a training program to certify military and civilian personnel of the Department of Defense with responsibility for generating requirements for major defense acquisition programs (as defined in section 2430(a) of title 10, United States Code).
(2) COMPETENCY AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS: The Under Secretary shall establish competency requirements for the personnel undergoing the training program. The Under Secretary shall define the target population for such training program by identifying which military and civilian personnel should have responsibility for generating requirements. The Under Secretary also may establish other training programs for personnel not subject to chapter 87 of title 10, United States Code, who contribute significantly to other types of acquisitions by the Department of Defense.
(b) APPLICABILITY: Effective on and after September 30, 2008, a member of the Armed Forces or an employee of the Department of Defense with authority to generate requirements for a major defense acquisition program may not continue to participate in the requirements generation process unless the member or employee successfully completes the certification training program developed under this section.
(c) REPORTS: The Secretary of Defense shall submit to the Committees on Armed Services of the Senate and House of Representatives an interim report, not later than March 1, 2007, and a final report, not later than March 1, 2008, on the implementation of the training program required under this section.
AcqLinks and Resources:
- CJCS Instruction 3170.01H “Joint Capabilities Integration and Development System”
- JCIDS Manual for the Operation of the JCIDS
- JCIDS Process Flow Chart
- Tutorial: JCIDS Process