Key Interface Profiles (KIP) are the technical specifications that allow access to the Global Information Grid (GIG). Systems need to conform to various KIPs based on desired functionality so they can interface properly with the GIG. KIPs are listed in CJCSI 6212.01E and are divided into three families:
- Transport Family – covers SATCOM at various frequencies;
- Computing Infrastructure Family – covers NETOps and computing;
- Application Enterprise Family – covers Services and Messaging
- Meeting the technical requirements contained in the KIP alone is not sufficient to ensure interoperability. The system must also be designed against the appropriate architectures and DoD Information Technology Standards Registry (DISR) and Information Assurance (IA) standards.
- CJCSI 6212.01D “Interoperability and Supportability of Information Technology and NSS” – Table D-A-2