The Joint Rapid Acquisition Cell (JRAC) was established to meet Joint Urgent Operational Needs (JUON) and Joint Emergent Operational Needs (JEON) in a quicker time frame than the standard Defense Acquisition Process approach. The JRAC rapidly assesses requirements and solutions, collaborating with the Joint Staff J-8 and the respective Combatant Commanders (COCOM) and facilitates the transfer of funds to DoD components to resolve Immediate Warfighter Needs (IWN). The JRAC provides the COCOMs the means to rapidly resolve shortfalls and capability gaps identified during ongoing operations.
Rapid Acquisition Fund (RAF): The RAF establishes a flexible means for the JRAC to rapidly respond in the current year to JUON and IWN from Combatant Commanders (COCOM). 
The JRAC reports directly to the Under Secretary of Defense (Acquisition, Technology and Logistics) (USD(AT&L)).
- Commander originator recommends JUON & obtains approval of first General Officer (GO) in chain-of-command.
- JUON submitted to COCOM for certification / prioritization.
- COCOM rejects or certifies / prioritizes JUON and submits to Joint Staff / JRAC simultaneously.
- With Joint Staff recommendation, JRAC designates or declines JUON as IWN within 14 days of submission to JRAC.
- JRAC tracks IWN and facilitates its resolution and forwards to DoD Component for action.
SECDEF granted special authority in Bob Stump National Defense Act for Fiscal Year 2003 as amended by the Ronald W. Reagan National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2005 for JRAC.
- Waive statutes and regulations for testing and procurements – short of criminal statutes
- $100 million in authority, per fiscal year, to move funding regardless of “color”
- Notify Congress within 15 days of action
- Provides valuable flexibility for quick response to Immediate Warfighter Needs in response to combat fatality
AcqLinks and References:
-  CJCSI 3470.01 “Rapid Validation and Resourcing of JUON in the Year of Execution” – 15 July 2005
- DoD Instruction 5000.02 “Operation of the Defense Acquisition System”