Middle Tier Acquisition (MTA) is an rapid acquisition interim approach that focuses on delivering capability in a period of 2-5 years. The interim approach was granted by Congress in the FY16 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) Section 804 and is not be subject to the Joint Capabilities Integration Development Sysytem (JCIDS) and DOD Directive 5000.01 “Defense Acquisition System” but expires Sep 2019 unless extended. The approach consists of utilizing two (2) acquisition pathways: (1) Rapid Prototyping and (2) Rapid Fielding. It does this by streamlining the testing and deployment of prototypes or upgrading existing systems with already proven technology.
(1) Rapid Prototyping
Use innovative technology to rapidly develop fieldable prototypes to demonstrate new capabilities, meet emerging military needs. The objectives are:
- Field a prototype that can be demonstrated in an operational environment
- Provide for residual operational capability within 5 years of an approved requirement
(2) Rapid Fielding
Use proven technologies to field production quantities of new or upgraded systems with minimal development required. The objectives are:
- Begin production within 6 months
- Complete fielding within 5 years of an approved requirement
Table: Summary of NDAA 2016, Section 804 Statutory Language
- Organization must make use of their existing funding consistent with the purpose ofr which the funds were appropriated.
- Interim authority does not cover establishment of Rapid Prototyping Fund
- Rapid Prototyping Fund will be authorized when approved by organizations responsible for those authorities.
AcqLinks and References:
- FY16 NDAA Section 804 “Middle Tier Acquisition”
- Presentation: DAU Middle Tier Acquisition Interim Authority & Guidance
- Memo: OSD Middle Tier of Acquisition Interim Authority and Guidance – 16 Apr 2018.
- Memo: Air Force 7 Steps for Incorporating Rapid Prototyping into Acquisition
- Memo: Air Force Guidance Memorandum for Rapid Acquisition Activities – 13 June 2018
- Memo: Navy Middle Tier Acquisition and Acquisition Agility Guidance – 24 April 2018