Acquisition Program Baseline
The Acquisition Program Baseline (APB) is developed by the Program Manager (PM) before the initiation of a program for all Acquisition Category (ACAT) programs and depicts the current condition of a program. The plan states the threshold and objective values for the cost, schedule and performance requirements for a program. The performance requirements are listed as Key Performance Parameters (KPP) and Key System Attributes (KSA) and are linked to the program goals. These KPP’s and KSA’s are developed by the program sponsors (user) and are located in the Capabilities Design Document (CDD) or Capabilities Production Document (CPD) and also documented in the Technical Baseline. The Milestone Decision Authority (MDA) is the approval authority for the APB.
Template: Acquisition Program Baseline
The APB allows the Program Manager (PM) to track program goals against a formal baseline. This tracking will alert the PM to any potential problems that might arise and to perform corrective actions to keep a program within its goals. An APB is required for each Increment and Block for a Major Defense Acquisition Program (MDAP) or Major Acquisition Information System (MAIS) program. Any deviations from an approved APB have to be documented in an Program Deviation Report (PDR).
The content of an APB include:
- Executive Summary
- Program Overview
- Program Cost
- Program Schedule
- Key Performance Parameters (KPP) (Threshold and Objectives)
- Key System Attributes (KSA) (Threshold and Objectives)
- Milestone Decision Authority (MDA) Approval for entry into the Engineering, Manufacturing, and Development (EMD) Phase
- Technical Baseline
- Configuration Baseline
- The Program Manager is responsible for managing the trade space between program goals within the bounds of cost, schedule and performance.
AcqLinks and References:
- Defense Acquisition Guidebook (DAG) - Chapter 10.9
- DoD Directive 5000.01 "Defense Acquisition System" - 20 Nov 2007
- DoD Instruction 5000.02 "Operation of the Defense Acquisition System" - 8 Dec 2008
- JCIDS Manual - 1 May 2007
- Template: DFAS Acquisition Program Baseline Template
- Template: Acquisition Program Baseline Template
- Website: 10 USC 2435
- Website: 10 USC 2220